Plan a Visit
Make Yourself at Home
If you think you may be up for it, there’s no better way to consider a move to Upstate South Carolina than to come for a visit. “I came to the Upstate and never wanted to leave” is a common phrase you’ll hear from current residents—and we think you’ll see why. To help you make the most of your trip, here are just 10 of the top things we recommend doing while you’re here. For any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.
- See a Waterfall in Heart of the City: Visit the crown jewel of Greenville’s Historic West End, Falls Park on the Reedy. Stroll past the stunning waterfall and iconic Liberty Bridge on one side, and boutiques and galleries on the other. If you’re hungry, stop for a bite at one of the restaurants overlooking the falls or grab a coffee and ice cream at Spill the Beans. If you want to stretch your legs, continue on foot or by bicycle onto Swamp Rabbit Trail, which runs for 20 miles between Greenville and Travelers Rest.
- Go Brewery Hopping: Stop by Birds Fly South Ale Project in Greenville to try one of the top 15 beers of 2018, according to Punch Magazine. Looking for something fruit-forward? Head to Spartanburg to sample RJ Rockers’ “Son of a Peach,” an unfiltered American wheat ale made with real peaches.
- Taste the Difference: Our food scene continues to be recognized on the national stage, so we highly recommend you check it out. Sample one of 25 different ethnic cuisines represented at Upstate restaurants, or explore our growing farm-to-table scene with New American favorites like the Anchorage or Cribb’s Kitchen. For classic Meat ‘n’ Three barbeque, look no further than Wade’s Restaurant, where even mac and cheese is considered a veggie.
- Get Your Festival On: Plan your trip around one of Upstate SC’s popular festivals. In the summer, it’s the South Carolina Festival of Discovery; in the fall, it’s Fall for Greenville or euphoria; in the winter, it’s the Festival of Trees; and in the spring it’s Spartanburg’s Spring Fling.
- Experience One of America’s Top Lake Towns: We love our lake culture in the Upstate, and you’ll find most of us out on a boat in the warmer months. If you can visit in the summer, be sure to check out Lake Hartwell, one of the top bass-fishing lakes in the country, and visit Seneca, ranked one of America’s top 20 lake towns by Thrillist.
- Get Your Heart Racing: An active lifestyle is a big part of life in Upstate SC, so you’ll want to get a taste of our offerings. Strap on your hiking boots to climb one of many stunning trails in the folds of the Blue Ridge Mountains, or rent a bike to traverse one of nearly 400 cycling trails. Find even more outdoor adventure ideas here.
- Make it Game Day: What better way to make yourself at home in Upstate SC than to cheer for the home team? Check out a home game of the MiLB’s Greenville Drive, Greenville Triumph soccer, Greenville Swamp Rabbits hockey, or Clemson Tigers college football.
- Get Cultured: For an evening of entertainment, catch a show at the Peace Center, Alchemy Comedy Theater, or the historic Abbeville Opera House. For live music, head to Jazz on the Square in Downtown Spartanburg, held Friday evenings in the spring and fall, catch a show at TD Stage or the CCNB Amphitheatre at Heritage Park, or visit one of many restaurants and bars with live performances and open mic nights.
- Bring the Family: For fun with the kids, visit the Children’s Museum of the Upstate or the Roper Mountain Science Center. Cool off at one of the area’s stunning lakes, or get the full waterpark experience at Discovery Island Waterpark or Shipwreck Cove.
- Envision Your Next Career Move: If you’re considering a move and you don’t yet have a job, you’re in luck—Upstate SC has available, lucrative jobs in a range of industries—from major manufacturers like BMW and Michelin to business and financial services providers like BB&T and Concentrix—plus technology, healthcare, education, creative services and everything in between. Search for a job, and see if you can meet with an employer while you’re in town.
Want to move up in your career?
Discover your next professional chapter in Upstate SC.Search for Jobs