Up Your Knowledge
Wordsmiths, mathletes and science whizzes build strong foundations in Upstate South Carolina’s highly rated public school systems and sharpen their skills across the region’s 30 colleges and universities.
The Upstate’s K-12 options include 14 of the top 25 best K-12 school districts in South Carolina, in addition to private and special purpose schools like East Link Academy, a public charter Chinese immersion school, or Lakes & Bridges Charter School, which serves students with dyslexia. Our K-12 students gain exposure to real-world skills through STEM programs like Scholar Technician® and programs that enable students to explore focused subject areas like an arts-based curriculum, such as the South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities, a public residential high school for emerging artists.
Our higher-ed scene includes the prestigious Clemson University, respected liberal arts schools such as Furman University, Wofford College and Anderson University, as well as renowned institutions for medical studies, such as the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville.
Whether you’re looking to earn a new degree or select the best school for your child, Upstate South Carolina has education options for dreamers and doers. Read on for more, or visit our Resources for Job Seekers for information about skills training and continuing education.
Facts + Figures
#1 + #2
BEST PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS IN SOUTH CAROLINA 2019Niche.com
#1 + #4
BEST PRIVATE SCHOOLS IN SOUTH CAROLINA 2019Niche.com
BLUE RIBBON PUBLIC SCHOOLS 2019Public School Review
BEST REGIONAL COLLEGE, SOUTH | UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA – UPSTATE 2019U.S. News & World Report
WOFFORD COLLEGE | MOST UNDERRATED COLLEGES DOING GREAT THINGS 2018College Consensus
FURMAN UNIVERSITY | MOST UNDERRATED COLLEGES DOING GREAT THINGS 2018College Consensus
BEST REGIONAL COLLEGE, SOUTH | LANDER UNIVERSITY 2019U.S. News & World Report
BEST REGIONAL COLLEGE, SOUTH | CONVERSE COLLEGE 2019U.S. News & World Report
BEST PUBLIC UNIVERSITY | CLEMSON 2019U.S. News & World Report
BEST REGIONAL COLLEGE, SOUTH | BOB JONES UNIVERSITY 2019U.S. News & World Report
BEST COLLEGES FOR VETERANS | CLEMSON 2018U.S. News & World Report
MATCH RATE AT UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE GREENVILEClass of 2018
- K-12 Public
- Private + Special Purpose
- Colleges + Universities
Top-Notch Public Education for Your Family
For families considering a move, selecting the right school for your children is no easy task. But in Upstate South Carolina, we’re proud to say that it’s hard to go wrong.
Upstate SC has 14 of the top 25 best K-12 school districts in South Carolina. With 76,000 students, the Greenville County School District is the largest in the state and 44th largest in the nation. It’s home to the first elementary school in South Carolina with a school-wide engineering curriculum, A.J. Whittenberg, which partners with major companies like Fluor and Michelin to give children hands-on learning opportunities.
K-12 Public School Districts
Excellent Private + Special Purpose Schools
Upstate South Carolina offers highly rated private and special purpose schools. In fact, we have the No. 1 and No. 4 best private schools in the state – Christ Church Episcopal School and Spartanburg Day School.
The Upstate is also home to many schools for students with special needs, such as the SC School for the Deaf & Blind, Camperdown Academy and Lakes & Bridges Charter School for children with ADHD, dyslexia, and other learning disabilities.
Explore select private, charter and special purpose options below.
Select Private + Charter Schools
- Bob Jones Academy
- Christ Church Episcopal School
- Easley Christian School
- Five Oaks Academy (Montessori)
- Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities
- Greenville Technical Charter High School
- Hampton Park Christian School
- Haynsworth School
- Mitchell Road Christian Academy
- Oakbrook Preparatory School
- Shannon Forest Christian School
- Southside Christian School
- Spartanburg Christian Academy
- Spartanburg Day School
- St. Anthony of Padua Catholic School
- St. Joseph’s Catholic School
- St. Paul the Apostle Catholic School
Select Special Purpose Schools
Colleges + Universities
Upstate South Carolina’s 30 colleges and universities are known for their research-driven focus on industry innovation, which means more practical applications and pathways to great jobs. Among our top higher education assets are:
- Clemson University: The prestigious university known for the fierce and passionate Clemson Tigers and academic rigor. Clemson ranks 24 among all public universities and No. 36 among the best schools for veterans, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Furman University: The oldest private college in South Carolina is also No. 13 on the “50 Underrated Colleges Doing Great Things” from College Consensus. This premier liberal arts and sciences university of just 2,800 students offers more than 60 areas of study, broad research opportunities, a robust visual and performing arts program and NCAA Division I athletics.
- SC Technical College System: Upstate South Carolina’s nationally recognized technical college system uses innovative curricula and programs to provide advanced technical training.
- Sherman College of Chiropractic: This small, highly respected College offers a doctor of chiropractic degree and a chiropractic teaching clinic in Boiling Springs.
- University of South Carolina (USC) School of Medicine Greenville: A four-year medical school located at the heart of Greenville Health System, the USC School of Medicine Greenville is backed by two decades of partnership in providing comprehensive medical education to students from the University of South Carolina, the state’s largest public university.
- VCOM-Carolinas: The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) is a four-year osteopathic medical school offering the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) degree. The 18-acre Carolinas campus is located near downtown Spartanburg and Wofford College.
- Wofford College: Based in Spartanburg among six higher education intuitions, Wofford is an independent liberal arts college of about 1,600 students offering 67 majors, minors and programs. It ranks No. 12 on the “50 Underrated Colleges Doing Great Things” list from College Consensus.
Want to move up in your career?
Discover your next professional chapter in Upstate SC.Search for Jobs