Events + Festivals
A Celebration for Every Season
Here in the Upstate, we’re the original festival-goers. If you can think of a reason to have a party, you can be assured that we have it. With lots of good BBQ, beer and bluegrass to boot. With a gorgeous mountain setting, pleasant weather and communities that know how to come together and have a good time, we promise you’ll never run out of unique experiences to join in the Upstate. From the SC Festival of Flowers to the Albino Skunk Music Festival to the SC Apple festival – there is always a reason to celebrate.
We couldn’t possibly list all of the fairs and festivals that happen year-round around here, but we’ve compiled some of our go-to events, along with helpful resources for scouting out what to do wherever you may find yourself in the Upstate. So mark your calendars, gather up friends and family and come join us in the celebration.
- Food + Music
- Arts + Crafts
- International Culture
- Music Festivals
- Health + Wellness
Notes and Noshes
There’s no better pair than good food and good music, and we’ve got the events to prove it.
- euphoria Food, Wine, and Music: Every September, euphoria celebrates the best of Greenville’s culinary and music scene through concerts, cooking demonstrations and tastings, wine seminars and other exclusive events. The proceeds from this four-day event go to local non-profit organizations.
- Festival of Discovery: In July, head to uptown Greenwood to celebrate the food, music, culture and arts that make the Upstate a great place in which to live. Nearly two decades strong, this festival is complete with all the summer fixings such as a hot dog eating content, Carolina BBQ cook-offs and a “Blues Cruise”.
- Spartanburg Spring Fling: This celebration brings together live music, great food, brews and more in a family-friendly street festival environment which is the perfect cure for your spring fever.
- South Carolina Peach Festival: If you’re sweet on peaches, this festival if for you. Celebrating the South’s iconic crop, this Gaffney festival features live music, attractions and of course, plenty of peachy-keen plates.
In the Upstate it’s evident we’ve got our creative juices flowing and these events celebrate artistic expression in the region and encourage visitors to be inspired.
- Artisphere: This fine arts festival encompasses everything from live performances, hands-on art demos, and culinary art experiences. You can get inspired and engaged with artists directly at this Greenville event every May.
- Art on the Trail: Hosted in Traveler’s Rest every October, you can celebrate creativity in the Upstate with an arts market, live readings, children’s activities and performances.
- South Carolina Festival of the Flowers: Greenwood’s Festival of the Flowers has been named one of Southeast Tourism Society’s Top 20 Events in June for nine years running. This family-friendly festival features stunning topiary displays in addition to a fun run, golf tournament, arts, music and food.
Melting Pot Memories
We’re proud of the international presence in the Upstate and these events celebrate the flavors, sounds and people that make our region a global community.
- Greer Goes Global International Festival: A celebration of the Upstate’s unique international community, this April festival brings together cultures from all around the world to share in food, music, arts, crafts and dance. There’s even a Parade of Nations which highlights the depth of diverse cultures that call the Upstate home.
- Upstate International’s International Month: March is all about celebrating cultural diversity in the Upstate through a month-long series of events showcasing different cultures though food, dance and educational programs.
- Gallabrae: Also known as the Greenville Scottish Games, Gallabrae celebrates Scottish heritage in the Upstate through Celtic music, athletic competition, dancing and a parade at its gorgeous Furman University setting. Ranked as one of the top Scottish Games in the world, this one-of-a-kind event is guaranteed to be a kick in the kilt.
- Oktoberfest in Walhalla: The mountain setting of the Upstate is the perfect place to pay homage to Germany’s famous Oktoberfest. Walhalla takes your standard pretzels and polka to the next level, with fireworks, live performances and a family-friendly carnival.
The Sound of Music
For a classic festival weekend, complete with camping, bluegrass and good old fashioned moonshine, there’s no better place to be than in the Upstate’s mountain region.
- Albino Skunk Music Festival: The Albino Skunk Music Festival occurs twice a year in the spring and fall, and is named after the white skunks spotted on the farm property where the event is held. With bluegrass roots, Skunk Music now celebrates acoustic music of all kinds, hoping to help you find your new favorite band.
- Fall for Greenville: More than 40 establishments and several stages showcase the best eats from Upstate restaurants through food competitions, demos, concerts and more for the whole family. Touted by both Travel & Leisure and Livability, this October festival continues to keep the Upstate on the map for flavorful sounds and bites.
- Moonshiners Reunion and Mountain Music Festival: Nestled in the Appalachian foothills, this October festival invites you to camp out for the weekend and renew your love of folk music in one of “America’s moon-shining hot spots.”
- Spartanburg Melting Pot of Music: This celebration of music, culture and community spotlights Spartanburg’s international diversity through eclectic sounds, bites and beer.
Body, Mind + Spirit
The natural beauty of the Upstate simply inspires well-living and the Ness Fest embodies our value for living a well and whole life. An experience in itself, the Ness Fest features seminars, interactive fitness classes at iconic Greenville locations and more. The region is also home to a variety of local mud runs and obstacle races, plus the Assault on Mt. Mitchell, a 102.7-mile self-paced bike ride in downtown Spartanburg, For more on this topic, head to our Health and Wellness page.
Want to move up in your career?
Discover your next professional chapter in Upstate SC.Search for Jobs